Accident Investigation & Reconstruction
- Police Accident Report Key codes for US states & Canada
- Crash Reconstruction Basics for Prosecutors – How to evaluate the Police Officer’s accident report of the crash and analysis of energy, speed, momentum, time and more.
- Human Factors – From determining visibility to human error, reaction time and much more (see the menu at the page bottom)
- One-dimensional collision
- Two-dimensional collision
- Accident Reconstruction Resources – Links to many websites concerning accident reconstruction.
- Auto Accident Reconstruction – The ARC Network
- TARO – Traffic Accident Reconstruction Origin web site.
- Articles from SAE “Relationships Between Pre-Skidding and Pre-Braking Speed.” SAE #2001-01-1281. The accuracy of vehicle pre-braking speed estimates based upon tire/roadway coefficient of friction (drag factor) measurements and skid mark measurements was assessed. Braking tests were performed on three vehicles and a correlation between the calculated pre-skidding speed and the actual pre-braking speed was established. $10.00.”Comprehensive Analysis Method for Vehicle/Pedestrian Collisions.” SAE #2000-01-0846. A comprehensive method for assessing the vehicle impact speed in a vehicle/pedestrian collision was derived. Mathematical models, real world collision data and staged impact test data were referenced from over sixty studies pertaining to pedestrian collisions. A practical analytical approach for evaluating vehicle impact speed from the post-impact vehicle damage, pedestrian injuries and pedestrian throw distance was developed. $10.00. “Characteristic Vehicular Deceleration for Known Hazards.” SAE #1999-01-0098. The deceleration of motor vehicles during routine stops for expected hazards in the real world environment was quantified. A mathematical model was developed to define deceleration profiles and yield predictive relations for assessment of velocity, position and remaining braking time for decelerating passenger vehicles. $10.00. “Practical Analysis Technique for Quantifying Sideswipe Collisions.” SAE #1999-01-0094. Sideswipe collisions involve the surface of one vehicle sliding along another vehicle or object. A comprehensive analytical approach for evaluating the severity of this type of vehicular collision was developed. Several series of sideswipe collisions were staged to validate the analysis model. $10.00.
- Nighttime Accident and Crime Scene Photography
- Lamp Examination – Were they on or off at the time of collision?
Speed, Stopping Distance & Time of Vehicles in an Accident
- Driver Reaction Time And Stopping Distance
- Vehicle Stopping Distance And Time – table and calculator
- Stopping Distance Calculator – for different road conditions
- Speed Skid Calculator
- How to Determine Vehicle Speeds From Skid Marks
- The Skid Mark / Crush Factor Method of determining speed
- Tractor / Trailer Turning Maneuvers and Turn Times in Night-Time Accidents
Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction
- Speed Calculation in a Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Stopping Distances – stopping distance tables for motorcycles with and without ABS brakes.
- Excel Calculator for determining motorcycle stopping distances – This is a free calculator to download. You will probably have to click Enable Edit Mode at the top of the Excel sheet before entering any data.
- Motorcycle Crash Testing & Reconstruction
- HURT report – study conducted by researcher Harry Hurt at the University of Southern California with funds from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. See an easy-to-read summary of the HURT report.
- MAIDS (Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study) – See the 2009 v 2.0 study
- Motorcycle Accident Reconstruction and Litigation (book at Amazon)
- Can a Motorcycle Brake Faster Than a Car?
Truck Accident Reconstruction
Accident Reconstruction Software & Calculators
- Learn how to draw an accident diagram
- Diagram Your Accident Scene – FREE online – you can select all of the road elements and vehicles and draw an accident diagram
- Do It Yourself animation software – SketchUp Pro
- SmartDraw Accident Reconstruction Diagram Software – Free trial download
- Accident Reconstruction Calculator – for Android
- Accident Reconstruction Calculator – $4.99 for Android
- Accident Reconstruction Calculators
- Crash Reconstruction Calculators – ARUS GENIUS
- MapScenes – The MapScenes System is designed to provide professional investigators with the tools to capture data quickly and precisely at a scene, and then visually communicate the output of their investigation in accurate and compelling diagrams
- A Listing of Accident Reconstruction Software Companies
Event Data Recorders – The Black Box
- Automobile Data Recorders – Recording automotive crash event data using on-board collision sensing and recording devices.
- Event Data Recorder Applications for Highway & Traffic Safety – at DOT
- List of vehicles with an Event Data Recorder (EDR) installed by the manufacturer.
- Understanding the basics EDR readouts. Take a look at data from actual crash downloads and an explanation of what the data means and how it is used by crash reconstructionists.
- Interpreting EDR (Black box) Data & Recognizing Errors – some of the limitations to EDR data with an emphasis on when you should question the data provided.
Low Speed, Low Impact Car Accidents
- Harris Technical Services – Retain a low speed impact expert for an affordable fee. James O. Harris, an expert in traffic accident reconstruction on a “low impact, soft tissue” traffic accident case, will testify that it is NOT possible to correlate vehicle damages and injury levels with supporting independent research documentation. Case review, consultation and appearance at trial – anywhere in the U.S. is $1000.00 plus travel expenses. e-mail: [email protected]
- Common Errors In Determining Impact Speed and Occupant Injury Propensity In Low Speed Rear End Collisions
- Can You Gauge Injury Risk or Severity From the Amount of Vehicular Property Damage in Motor Vehicle Crashes? ChiroWeb.com by by Arthur Croft,DC,MS,MPH,FACO,FACFE